Sunday, August 22, 2010

Whiteshell relief

I could feel tension unwind for 2 reasons.
First, I left Winnipeg after a longer than needed stop. However business had to be done.
Second, as I write this I am in the Whiteshell Provincial Park where I spent many a summer weekend as a teen. Unlike many places from one’s past, that seem small and not how you remember them, Westhawk Lake felt like summer home I had never left. I set up camp for one night but  wished I could stay longer. The deer that greeted me as I chose my campsite sealed the deal.

It is not often you can get within a dozen feet of a whitetail while on a motorcycle that’s running. Wait til you see the video!


The last of dusk hangs in the air looking almost like northern lights starting their glow as the song of the wilds of summer start up. The mournful call, the throaty warble reply; the song of the common loon. If you have never stayed at a lake in the Precambrian shield you have no idea how this bird’s song can touch your soul. If you were here, you would agree.
Next up is Ontario, Canada's largest province. My ass hurts just typing those words.
Later folks

1 comment:

  1. OH you have been Mr. Animal Magnet this summer... bears, deer... too bad no chicks ;-)
    Safe Travels Daryl! No more butt bullets, k!! lol

    ReplyDelete