Friday, April 23, 2010

Phone calls and emails

Thanks for stopping by. I do hope you will invite others. I will endeavor to throw some humor up with each post to keep things interesting.
Today's chuckle:
I believe that margarine was not invented as a substitute for butter but so poor people can have Tupperware too! - Daryl Makk (one of the oldest bits that still hits the stage during my show from time to time)
Prep work:
Getting all the funding and sponsors lined up for this massive project is a huge undertaking in itself. If it were just me getting on my bike and riding things would be simple but I have a video crew to consider. They will need lodging, meals, vehicles and equipment...oh yeah, and wages. I would not want to work with a video crew that was willing to do it for free as I would suspect the quality of work would suffer.

Each day, for the past several months I have been contacting companies, sending emails and making phone calls with very little opportunity to get out and ride and enjoy life. My desk chair has a perfect impression of my butt sitting at the desk for hours on end. Perhaps it will toughen it up for the many miles/kilometers it is about to do from the saddle. Should I go missing it can be used to make a cast for forensics. "We are looking for someone who has a butt shaped like this chair mold."

While it is exciting meeting new contacts it is this part of the journey I detest the most. Hours of sitting in one room, day after day. Typing, phoning, more typing, faxing. NO clutch NO gears NO throttle. To a nomadic person like myself I feel like I am doing my time in an office prison so I may get my parole and ride.

Compared to being on a motorcycle this is a yawn but it is a necessary sacrifice of time that is needed to get things set up.
What does this mean to you out there? Well if you have a service or product (and it is travel or motorcycle related) that you need to inform the planet about  lets talk. I am about to live on the road and will need quality services and items to make sure I reach my destinations.
Recently I secured a sponsor that is going to upgrade my riding skills. I figured a bit more training will help me avoid any trouble and make my ride more enjoyable. Thank you Too Cool Motorcycle School for stepping up to the plate.

I train on my refresher course May 21/10. Stay tuned for some video as I put Suzy thru her paces. If you live in the Calgary area I highly recommend this riding school. I researched quite a few and was impressed with their results.

I apologize for the lack of videos at this time so to amuse yourself I will leave you with this practical joke to play on society. Spend some time in a crowded elevator and face the people. It is amazing how many will not make eye contact. I've been doing this since I was 16 and it always gives me a giggle.

Please subscribe to the show if you have not already.
Cheers
Daryl and Suzy B

No comments:

Post a Comment