Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Embrace the change instead of fight it.

It is amazing what a week in warm weather can do for your spirits. Perhaps it was our lack of our summer and my need to feel some heat or it was just the endless food and lack of housekeeping duties. Then again it could have been the new experience of the on board comedy clubs that Carnival Cruise lines has. What ever it is was I feel renewed from the down in the dumps feeling I was having after the accident.
My office on board

On board I did some writing. Nothing like a deck with an ocean view to stir some creative juices. I also shot some video commentary for some upcoming webisodes.
We are working on video clips as I write this and will be releasing them soon.
Thanks to all for your support and for helping me get this message out to share the road with motorcycles and for riders to wear their gear.
I'm thankful for my helmet, Joe Rocket jacket (with padded armor), Draggin Jeans and Alpinestar boots. All of them had a part in keeping my injuries to a minimum. I shudder when I see riders in next to no gear but a whole lot of faith that it can't happen to them. It can happen to anyone no matter what your skill level. Things can go wrong and if it should why make your day even worse by risking extra injury?

While on the ship I was reminded how things just don't go as planned. Our schedule was to go from Galveston Texas over to Cozumel Mexico but a wind bag named hurricane Paula got in the way. Safety first was the order and we were redirected to Vera Cruz instead. I was shocked to see how many passengers got pissy because they were "supposed to go to Cozumel" and had on shore excursions booked.
Their self indulgence was so strong they completely ignored the fact that for us to go to Cozumel we would have had to sail through a hurricane!! I am pretty sure the weather would have not been up to their vacation standards either.  Even though they were all getting refunds to compensate I still heard them moaning about it in the stairs and hallways days later. So hard done by were they that their precious plans had been altered, for their well being even, they still did not get it. Our new port meant we did not have to risk possible death at sea or a ship full of sea sick passengers so shut up! It's  this "me only" attitude I believe carries over to our roads and may be why some drivers do the stupid shit they do. They only care about themselves.
Its a basic theory at this point.

I am always up for seeing new places and although I had never been to either port a surprise stop can sometimes be the best part of a trip. It happens on  motorcycle trips constantly. In fact this summer, unless I had a show I had to get to, I had no idea where I was stopping for the night. So of course I was one of the few that was happy things had changed. Hello Vera Cruz!!
It beats rockin' in a hurricane!

I did not venture far as the number of heavily armed cops and military that seemed to be on every corner, made me think it was best not to wander too far. I learned later that there had been a shooting in a market square the day before and 10 people were gunned down in an apparent drug territory war. It was the same market square where I had lunch but I did not know its recent history as I pointed at pictures while I ordered.

I need to learn Spanish as I have found the need for it in more and more in my travels. No worries as the food that showed up was sort of, kind of what I thought I had ordered.
Never get set on just one thing while travelling and you can never get disappointed. I was sure I had ordered the Cozumel burritos but I got the Veracruz tostadas instead. At least an edible meal showed up! As they say in Mexico, bon appetite amigo....or something like that.

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts on, "Embrace the change instead of fight it" remind me of a saying that goes something like this, "Sometimes, on the way to a dream we find another dream."

    ReplyDelete